Saturday, September 5, 2009

Electric Relaxation Vol. 3: 2001-03 Edition

Looking back on it, most of the music that was released 2001-2003 still resonates with me in a real way. Maybe that's because I finally listened to more stuff and got exposed to a wider variety of things. Throw in that I transitioned from high school to college and you have music that fits a the mood I was in - reflective, optimistic, anxious for a new beginning.



Now when I listen to those songs or those albums - it gives me that good feeling that good music is supposed to do when you connect with it emotionally. Here's some of the albums/songs I still love.






Incubus - Morning View: More than anything, this album was bought for the sole purpose of me attending Pepperdine. The band made it in Malibu and I imagined listening to it on the shores of class. Alas, I ended up doing it in San Diego but it had the same effect.




It's probably the band's softest album but it's so peaceful that I would sit down and write some poetry to it. You can imagine the shores of Malibu in the background to "Just A Phase" and just zone out.



Switchfoot - Beautiful Letdown: I had heard of Switchfoot but this album felt like a challenge to me. A challenge to the world around me and the minute I heard "Meant To Live," I felt inspired. Lyrically, it touched on searching for something more than the simple thrills and living with a purpose and for teens, the message resonated.



They may be a Christian band, but they touch on universal themes that people can relate to. Plus they make great music and coming from San Diego, they connected with many at my school.




The Ataris - So Long, Astoria: The minute I heard "In This Diary" and heard that line "Being grown up, isnt half as fun as growing up" I was hooked on this album. When I heard "Boys of Summer" in my friend's room, I knew it'd be a hit once summer came around.


But this album was about being reflective (named after the town the "Goonies" lived in) and looking back on the younger days. It was the perfect summer album back in 2003 but now, it's an album that reminds me of being young and the fun I had back then.







Eminem - The Eminem Show: To this day, I'll tell anyone this is Shady's most personal album and maybe it's not better than Marshall Mathers LP, but its darker and realer.


Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way: I remember buying this the week before I left for college and I imagined listening to it in San Diego for the same reason I loved Morning View. It felt dreamlike and a good mood for being by the ocean.


It's a shame that I found out the band kinda feels ambivalent about it because it was mostly John Frusciante's input. But I love this album. I did drive down to San Diego once listening to this - PERFECT background music for the coast.

Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea - Billy Corgan's side band disintegrated soon afterwards but I really enjoy the album because lyrically Corgan was influenced by his faith.








Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers : I really hoped J5 would've blown up from this album. Radio hits and quality music haven't sounded this good from the L.A. underground.


The Roots - Phrenology : Hard to follow up a classic but they did. The first album I bought from the crew and I loved every listen of it.

Musiq - Juslisen: This was the last thing I listened to when I had my final moments when my Dad. And aside from that, it's a dope R&B album from one of my favorite singers.





Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head : One of the best albums of the decade. I remember DLing it before I left for the summer and I listened to it right before I left. Phenomenal album from start to finish. I love Amsterdam, Politik, and of course "The Scientist."

Justin Timberlake - Justified: Don't Laugh - this album is probably one of the better R&B joints of the decade. He reminded me of Michael, George Michael that is. I heard the album the same night I heard Coldplay and loved it right away.

Sugar Ray - Sugar Ray: Don't Laugh Pt. 2 - this was their last hurrah and the boys of summer made a great album I enjoyed in 2001. "Satellites" still takes me to a special place, this album is great driving music.


The Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It/Home Grown - Kings of Pop: I gotta put these two together because I saw them both in concert at my school and hearing both albums remind me of that show. My first punk show, my first mosh pit, raw energy that I still draw back to.





Nappy Roots - Watermelon, Chicken and Gritz: This is an album you don't hear too often on a mainstream level period, regardless of region. A song about being poor being a hit? Ballin on a Budget? This was some feel good hip-hop made the summer of 02 easy, breezy and manageable.


These down-home brothas made one of the last great Southern albums before the shift of crunk/trappin/club music that the South is more known for now.

Maybe I'll do a post on some of the singles from that era that stuck with me but you can probably imagine the singles from these albums had a big effect on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment