Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Thoughts on the UCLA/SI Expose


20 minutes of me talking to you about this UCLA article. I've also linked up the 2009-2010 and 2010-11 All-State teams that I spoke about in the article so you can see who UCLA did and didn't recruit.

Some key points to add. This isn't a UCLA problem. It happens at programs when winning is contagious and it attracts stars who don't buy into your system. It happens when coaches show favoritism to stars and those stars abuse that principle. It's a failure on the coaches and to a lesser extent, the players and as Remember the Titans said, "Attitude reflects leadership."

I also should add that athletic director Dan Guerrero deserves the lion share of the blame as well. I didn't address it in the video but Guerrero has overseen both the football and basketball programs declining and he's a lame duck AD in my opinion. This article is also an indictment of his laissez-faire attitude and not holding the basketball program to a higher standard befitting John Wooden's legacy. Throw in the issues with the football team and he needs to be fired as well.

As a journalist, I say don't always question the author's bias. Question the work to see if it reflects that bias or if it's information worth considering. I think George Dohrmann did great, investigative work and even if the story's purpose might be murky to some considering nothing illegal happened according to NCAA rules, it's a good insight into what I've suspected the last 4 years with UCLA and then some.

Let me know what you think. I'm still trying my hands at making videos and the lack of fear I had with doing this might be a good sign for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment