Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Podcast: Ice Cube's Death Certificate



Forgot to share this last week but I finally had the chance to join Single Simulcast's podcast to discuss one of our favorite albums. Ice Cube's classic 2nd album, Death Certificate.

Back in 2010, I made an argument why Death Certificate is the greatest solo album to come out of the West Coast. Three years later, I had more ammo on my side as I realized the musical and political impact that album had. It created a sound the West Coast hadn't really dug deep into before by sampling funk records and having more bass than most artists had before. Dr. Dre turned it up another notch with G-Funk.

So enjoy a listen with me, Larry Lank Lank and Single Simulcast's host Rashanii. It's over 2 hours long but it's one of the best things I've done. It's also a tribute to an incredible album that probably can't be made on a record label today but has influenced MC's over the years such as Nas, Killer Mike and Kendrick Lamar.

No comments:

Post a Comment