Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Epilogue for Pedro + NBA Opening Week hits

Cliff Lee set the tone for the Phillies in Game 1 with his masterful effort along with Chase Utley going yard twice. Now entering the stage to-NIGHT! The reinvented and rejuvenated Pedro Martinez coming back to Yankee Stadium.

I got so amped on Twitter that I posted it would be his first postseason start in NY since the infamous Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. Thanks to baseball-reference, I forgot he pitched Game 2 of the 2004 ALCS. But either way, it's a perfect coda to a battle that has been epic for baseball.

I already talked about Pedro's return and I was prophetic in how he came back to Dodger Stadium and locked us up in Game 2 of the NLCS. It's hard to imagine he won't do the same against his most famous foe outside of Tampa Bay.

He pitched one of the greatest games at the old Yankee Stadium (1 hit, 17 K's). Outdueled Roger Clemens at Fenway in 1999. And who can forget the 2003 fight he started with Karim Garcia and Don Zimmer in the ALCS - something he apologized for and spoke about yesterday

But I'm excited for tomorrow's game. I'll be at Universal Studios but I'll be checking from the phone all night.


Oh yeah, the NBA is BACK!!!!! The Lakers got their rings and it's time to start the journey for the repeat. I couldn't tell if they looked that good or the Clippers were that bad with all those easy turnovers but it's gonna be a great start with most of the games at home.

And I hate to say it, but Boston looks scary. Marquis Daniels might be the steal of the offseason off the bench and Rasheed Wallace looks like he fits in perfectly. I hate them but I love how they play. They made Charlotte look like a JV HS team tonight.

Cleveland won't do much not because Shaq clogs up the middle. They won't because their bench players still don't show up consistently.

I'm watching Denver's Ty Lawson tear up the Utah Jazz. Did people really think he couldn't play in the league because he was short? He's fast, gets to the rim, has a decent jumper and he's strong. Most of all, he's smart and won't make too many mistakes. The perfect heir to Billups IMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment