Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spitting Off The Top (on Chris Brown and Rihanna)


So apparently seen the real photos of Rihanna's face (I'm not going to post them here, but im sure TMZ has them). All I have to say is that it's a sad sight. Now that we know the play-by-play of what happened, I seriously wonder what made Chris Brown snap like that.


I know that I've been in arguments with ladies before. I've been in loud/frustrating arguments with some of the closest women in my life. But never have I thought about laying my hands on them. Yes, I have thought about throwing something. Yes, I have admitted to saying words I deeply regret. But violence against them has never been an option.


I feel that if you are that mad at someone you are dating, you need to break up with them. I don't care how much you love them or how much they love you...leave them be. Is it really worth it the stress? I've heard of people you marry being the ones who can tolerate arguments with, but seriously, I'm not gonna spend the rest of my life with someone who I know can set me off in a snap.


Chris Brown needs to learn from this situation. He needs to know that abuse is something that tends to be passed down without you realizing it. I believe his apology and I'm hoping that he does indeed undergo counseling, prayer and anger management. I know he's ashamed/embarrassed about letting it go that far but if it's true that there has been some abuse before - and I'm not letting Rihanna off the hook as only a victim in the past - he has to look in the mirror and do the right thing for himself as a person.


I fully believe in that you don't just scold a (wo)man when (s)he's down, but you give them ample room to learn from their mistakes. You watch how they get back on their feet and you see how they respond in light of their poor judgement. Watch Charles Barkley's apology earlier tonight after being suspended for a DUI and tell me that he's not accountable. Chris Brown's rep does not have to be that of a gf-beater and I look forward to him working against that in the foreseeable future.


As for Rihanna, my heart goes out to her as she recovers. It's not easy for a victim of abuse to recover from this but it's a journey that she can do. I just pray that she listens to wise council and that she gets support. A man needs to defend a woman's honor, never degrade it with his fists.


So for either men or women, take my advice. Break-up with a significant other that drives you crazy and not in a good way. Break-up with a significant other that makes you want to even think of assualting them. Leave with your peace of mind intact. There's nothing wrong with being selfish if it means you can live with yourself


"I wanna say a little something that's long overdue. The disrespecting women has gotten to be through." - Beastie Boys "Sure Shot"

1 comment:

  1. I'm still so sad about all of this... you've spoken well and I have few words.

    ReplyDelete