Friday, July 30, 2010

What Inspires Me? (Music)

"Music is the air I breathe, the prayer I leave" - Talib Kweli said one of the best lyrics describing how people love music. Good music sticks to your rib and reminds you of the moment when you heard it.

But before this goes into a deep love affair, let's get to Part 3 of my inspirations. These are the artists that have inspired me the most because they resonate with me and speak to me.

(Note: These aren't all my favorite artists and I left some out intentionally. These are just the ones who left a mark on me in the most way)



(A Tribe Called Quest - A reminder to be yourself and "never follow someone else because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind")


(Little Brother - No group impacted me more this decade. "Dope rhymes, dope beats, what more could they want?" Saw them twice and were reminded why I love hip-hop.)


(Public Enemy - Thanks for teaching me to fight the power and not believe the hype. )

(Red Hot Chili Peppers - Thanks for reppin the City I live in, The City of Angels. )


(Prince - doing it all and doing it oh so well. A creative genius who remains a purist)


(Nas - "It aint hard to tell, I excel and prevail." Simple reason why he's the best.)


(Rage Against the Machine - They remind me never to be comfortable and always fight for my beliefs along with injustice.)


(Kirk Franklin - For updating gospel music in my era without watering down its message, he's a reason I believe gospel music will always stays fresh musically. )


(Jimi Hendrix - A reminder that creativity knows no bounds)


(Incubus - Lyrically beautiful/thought provoking, musically challenging. California goodness)


(Ice Cube - You Know How He Does It. One of the best writers/storytellers in hip-hop and a reminder that being real means speaking your mind. Favorite album of his.)


(dc Talk - Showed me Christian music isn't soft and poppy as well never being afraid to evolve without compromise. Christian music needs to challenge its audience while uplifting them.)


(Kanye West - I hate what he's become but every now and then, he reminds me why his songs relate to me like they did on this album.)


(The Clash - Working Class Heroes who inspire me to stay vigilant)

(OutKast - Thank you for reminding me that the South always has something to say)


Next up: Places.

No comments:

Post a Comment