Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Favorite Songs from U2 (Happy St. Patty's Day)


Since today is St. Patrick's Day, I figured I'd celebrate the best way I can. I don't really drink so I won't do an Irish Car Bomb or drink Guinness. But I do love one of the best things Ireland has given us in my lifetime....U2.


Their songs relate on so many levels. Political, spiritual, personal, celebratory....if there's a mood out there, U2 has probably written a great song to capture it.


So in honor of Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton, here are my favorite U2 songs (in no particular order except for maybe a few)


1. One - Quite possibly the best song to come out since 1990. It's on the shortlist and for good reason: it's a emotional crescendo with haunting lyrics that seem to hit you more everytime you hear it.


2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Everyone can relate to this message. We're always on a search for something that's real.


3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Bono wrote this after his Dad passed and when I heard for the first time on a retreat, it's hit me that it can refer to realizing you need God because you can't do it all. Another classic emotional crescendo that slowly engulfs you.


4. Beautiful Day - Led me to buy my first U2 album "All That You Can't Leave Behind." This song is a perfect wake-up call and like Talib Kweli's "Joy" you can't help but smile when hearing it.


5. Where The Streets Have No Name - Sometimes you just want to get away and be free. Sidenote, the song is even better because they shot the video in L.A. and they had to race to do it before the LAPD shut them down. Gave the song more urgency in my mind


6. Desire - The song got more incredible when I realized that it used the "Bo Diddley beat." Before that, it was just a fun song to listen to and it never gets old.


7. Pride (In The Name of Love) - Inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr. and covered masterfully by The Roots, this song describes their motivation for their causes to me. One man can truly make a difference.


8. New Year's Day - A must play every Jan. 1 after you finish partying.


9. Sunday Bloody Sunday - If you can't feel the pain and pleading tone in Bono's voice's here, check your pulse.


10. 40 - One of their most overtly spiritual songs, I first heard it when I saw a video of dc Talk performing it. Once I heard the original live version, I was blown away at how powerful this is. The lyrics are taken from Psalm 40 and it (the passage and the song) has definitely inspired me.


*Special note to Crumbs From Your Table (from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb), When I Look At The World (from All That You Can't Leave Behind), Elevation and With or Without You*


Like my friend Bree told me, picking your favorite U2 songs to go on one disc will leave you without much room. But instead of drinking myself into a frenzy or enjoying some good corned beef, I'd figure I'd feed myself with some good music and leave you with some as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment