Monday, November 16, 2009

Music and Me

So yesterday, my choir performed its annual concert. Yes, I do sing and yes, I don't talk much about it. Call it a hidden talent I guess although those who know me know this well.

I love harmonies and hearing different voices blend together. Plus the power of singing gospel music that inspires us as well as other people is a great ministry. Safe to say, last night was a great thrill and I loved every minute of it.

If you read my blog, you know that sports and music are two of my biggest loves. My love of music started from birth probably. I was born into a family where a cousin and her mother were phenomenal piano players that taught my mom and most of my family how to play. I'd watch Mom play every Sunday and at home in our apartment back in the day and just be in love.

This decade, my ear really got sharpened by several factors. Playing the piano in college, getting exposed to more hip-hop and music that I never got exposed to back home, and learning how to sing in harmony. Now I hear music a lot differently and I feel like it's become a passion.

Piano music touches my soul in a deep way. That's why I'm glad Alicia Keys, John Legend and Norah Jones got popular in my college years. Something about it takes me back to hearing Mom play as a kid and it's become my favorite instrument.

I admit I don't have the greatest voice but I have a great ear for what singing should sound like. I love rich, soulful voices that give words depth. I love soft voices that have the strength to glide over music and give meaning to the words. And I miss the lost art of R&B groups harmonizing which is probably why I've rediscovered Boyz II Men and the Temptations lately.

That's probably why I tripped out at the LA Sparks home opener and four young cats sang the national anthem in perfect harmony. THAT's Music.

I love my choir and most church choirs because there's something about gospel choirs that bring a richness to everything they do. When you sing gospel, it's bigger than you. It's about the words, the presentation and just giving your all. It's about telling the story and hoping somebody gets touched by it. That's what made last night so great.

Music is a passion and as long as I can, I'll keep singing, keep listening and keep enjoying the experience of discovering something new and rediscovering what I know.

I'll end this by just listing some of my favorite singers: Musiq Soulchild, Donny Hathaway, Eddie Kendricks, Chris Cornell, Robert Plant, Maxwell, Minnie Riperton, Jill Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment