Sunday, April 11, 2010

Avoiding Complacency


You ever feel like God is sending you multiple signs so you can hear what he's telling you loud and clear? Well for me, it's saying "DON'T GET COMFORTABLE AND DO SOMETHING NOW because I have something better waiting."

For the past year, I feel like I've been battling complacency because I want to do something more with my life. I've accomplished quite a bit at the paper and at my tutoring center and I consider it all a blessing. But at the same time, I want to do more -- I feel like I'm held back from my full potential.

I started this blog partly as a chance to feel inspired, take a break from writing sports from a certain angle and write about way more. But at the same time, I've felt like i'm in a rut everywhere else and then I see signs that I need to avoid being comfortable.

First my boss who gave me my start in the business left the paper to take a job that I never would've guessed he take. Then, I watch as my sister continues to find time to travel and be social. Tonight, I chat up one of my friends from college as he's ready to get married in 2 weeks and he tells me the same thing I've heard from Mom and others for a while.

"Don't be scared to leave your comfort zone." Oh yeah, did I mention that we went over this in my Bible study tonight?

I can't lie, I'm a creature of habit. I like things in a certain rhythm just because its familiar but at the same time I hate repetition because it's boring and it ultimately drains you. You never know what else may be out there because it feels safe.

Complacency turns us into zombies and I feel like I've been fighting off being one for the last 16 months. That's why I want to travel more and see more of the country/world before I turn 30. That's why I'm going to find ways to be social around L.A. - even though I'm realizing it's harder than it seems.

But maybe all of these signs are telling me that it's time to take some action. Like Elvis said, a little less conversation, a little more action. Complacency is my crutch/nemesis and it's time to shake it.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I'm currently trying to strike a balance between being content enough in my life right now to enjoy it (and not always wish for something else), but also to know that there IS more out there for me (and hence the birth of my photography business).

    ReplyDelete