Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Quit Hating! (No, Start Criticizing!)

"If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean I'm hating" - Common

It's been a trend for the past 4-5 years. The more wack the talent, the more excuses some people make for it by saying that person is grinding, hustling, making moves. Let's just call it what it is - crap!

Definition of a hater - you hate on somebody for no reason or something superficial.
Definition of a critic/independent thinker - you don't like something for a valid reason. Maybe you gave it a try and it doesn't suit you? Either way, you don't just hate without reason.

Let's face it - people want to give some folks a pass for working hard despite having little talent. I don't mind appreciating hard work but don't value it over people who work hard and have the skills to excel at their craft.

That's like every sports team taking the last guy on the bench and making him a valuable starter just because he works hard. It's a noble gesture but you'd be fired unless you were in high school - and even HS sports is slowly becoming more about winning than rewarding the 12th man.

A lot of artists right now don't deserve to be treated like the best in their genre. Yes they worked hard, stayed on their grind but if they suck - it's our duty as fans to let them know to step their game up.

Bowel movements when you're constipated are a lot of work too. But you know what you comes out right? Same with a lot of artists today. I don't care if you're on your grind - make a good product that reflects it.

Here's the deal. I work very hard at my craft. I work at my writing to make it meaningful/purposeful/and good for people to read. That's called being on your grind and practicing to make quality, not just make it.

But the way some people are now, I could be on my grind, work hard and I'd be rewarded for my hard work (or connections). And if I have no talent, well.....so what, I worked hard right? Go back to my sports analogy.

People need to know something. I'm not a sheep. If music is wack, I'm gonna pass it by. For example, Waka Flocka and Gucci Mane never need to rap again. A lot of rappers have flow but no ability to put lines together. A lot of emo bands are getting over for whining about how rough life is without capturing teen angst as well as the Replacements or Green Day back in the Dookie days. A lot of harder bands lack the depth of Pantera, Metallica or Pearl Jam.

Call me a hater. Or call me a critic for actually listening to them and realizing they just aren't good. We all have our own tastes. If you like them, fine. Just don't be mad if I don't. Respect the fact I have the balls to speak my mind and back it up.

So if something isn't up to par, call it out for being weak. Criticizing makes us all better. Just don't call me a hater because I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment