Monday, September 6, 2010

Electric Relaxation: Audioslave "Cochise"



Haven't done one of these in a while and this song popped into my head when I uploaded the 1st Audioslave album to my I-pod this week. I remember the weird buzz this group had like will they or won't work.

Take one of the greatest voices in music history (Chris Cornell) and the music behind one of the greatest bands of the 90's (Rage Against the Machine). It was an epic pairing and I remember being excited to hear the first single "Cochise" - a politically titled song after an Indian figure but the song wasn't political. They made it clear that it'd be Cornell's words set to their music and not recreate either band.

"Cochise" felt like an audio assault to say "Forget what we were, this is what we are." I remember the video showing Tom, Brad and Timmy C riding up the elevator to go jam with Cornell at the top of the building, like two forces coming together. Even the fireworks display was a perfect atmosphere for what the song sounded like. Blistering, powerful and just inspired, straight-ahead rock and roll.

And the lyrics were typically cryptic. I still don't know what Chris is talking about but the lines sounded like an epic-kiss off filled with blame/regret. Just good writing, good music and a great delivery. One of my favorite rock records of the 2000's.

For the record, I'm not sad they aren't together anymore only because Soundgarden has reunited (esp. after Cornell's terrible solo album) and so has Rage even if its temporary at shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment