Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remember 9/11 - Looking ahead instead of Replaying the Past


The further I get from 9/11, the more interested I'm in looking ahead to how we remember it. For the past six years, I've tutored kids and seen them get younger and younger. Their 9/11 memories will become less vivid too. So instead of just looking back, I want to look ahead to how we teach them because that's as important as anything.

What will they be taught? What won't they be taught? Will they roll their eyes or will they fully understand what September 11 means. But also, we who remember that day have to be diligent in doing more than just posting Never Forget or wrapping ourselves in the flag or judging folks who react differently than the "acceptable" way.

For those who want to look back, here's my take from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment