Monday, January 4, 2010

Poetry Corner "Invictus"


After the year we all just witnessed, this was something that motivated me at times throughout the year. I think we can all be motivated by it now as we start 2010. No matter what happened to us or around us, we will not give up. Thank you Clint Eastwood and Co. for bringing this poem to a new audience in the movie which bears its name.

This poem still holds as much inspiration as when I read it in an English class in college. I guess being an English nerd has its advantages lol - you read some fantastic things that stick with you for years.

"Invictus" by William Earnest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
for my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance,
My head is bloodied, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll.
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.


In Latin, Invictus means unconquered. That's how I feel about 2010. By the grace of God we made it (line 3, stanza 1) and we have a chance not to give up but be encouraged to determine how we respond to it (final stanza).

No comments:

Post a Comment