Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Praying for Haiti

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/earthquake_in_haiti.html

If pictures are worth 1,000 words, these fills an encyclopedia.

7.0 quake strikes the poorest countries in the West. Predominantly Black. Devastation galore because their buildings are not equipped to handle a quake with a 4-5 magnitude.

The irony is that last week, Northern California saw a 5.6 quake that barely made a dent in their day. Almost no structural damage. Contrast that with Haiti that saw aftershocks in the 5-6 magnitude.

Text "YELE" to 501501 to donate $5 for relief - Wyclef Jean has sponsored this relief effort to help his people and I'm pretty sure we will hear from Pras shortly (Speaking on CNN soon after I type this)

Text "haiti" to 90999 to automatically give 10$ to Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund.

Pray for Haiti, Stay informed. I have a friend from college who has family in Port-Au-Prince and I just hope his family is okay. Even in tragedy, God still has a way of delivering comfort better than anyone.

2 comments:

  1. One of the blogs I read (dreamingbigdreams.wordpress.com/) has two children adopted from Haiti... one is through the paperwork and home and her son is still in Haiti. She links to some great resources as well.

    Regarding the NorCal earthquake though, it caused over $20 million in damage in Eureka and the county just declared a state of emergency because they aren't equipped to handle the damage. So, not as devastating as Haiti, but certainly a big dent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification on Eureka, Bree. I was going based on what I heard several of my followers on Twitter say who weren't affected. My apologies.

    ReplyDelete