Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 2 of the Madness (Cool)

So here's my recap of Day 2 of the NCAA Tournament

- Terrible start picking Siena and Temple.
- Note to self: Remember why I hate Clemson. Why I call them overrated. NEVER pick them again
- Utah State let me down as well.
- Cal made the Pac-10 look good. Pac-10 had the worst year in ages yet it's 2-0 in March Madness, 2-0 against the Big East, who looks pretty crappy for having all those teams in.
- Tom Izzo is the new Coach K. When March comes around, ride Michigan State.
- And Georgetown still sucks, here's hoping Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, John Thompson II and Victor Page walk through that door and remind the Hoyas who they are.

All in all a good day surviving the Madness. I'm way behind in my pool but it's not about how you start a bracket but how you finish it. While people are happy to be doing well after the first round, I'd rather feel the same way next weekend during the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.

But I'm in a bit of awe right now. I finally saw the Shawshank Redemption and before I pass out, just have to say that movie blew me away. Great story, great acting by Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, great message of hope. There's no way I will spoil it but Robbins showed me why he indeed can act (and why I must see his Oscar-winning role in Mystic River) and Freeman just did what he does best - dominate by being unselfish and steady as a rock.

Why it took me this long to see it I'll never know. It's like watching this hard person with a tough attitude eventually show a heart of gold. The power of change and great storytelling - the dream of every great writer is to write something like that.

I could say more - a interesting Friday of waking up late, discussing relationships and pondering the last 2 years of being single - but I gotta crash. Got a 12-hour day of high school basketball to watch at USC.

No comments:

Post a Comment